Saturday, August 10, 2013

Blood draws

Well, this week has been interesting. Since I have been on the Lupron for about two weeks now, on the first day of my cycle, I had to go get blood drawn to see what level the drug is at in my blood. The agency that I'm working with and the fertility clinic in Boston have set up for me to go to a clinic in Olathe that provides same day results to Boston so that they can advise me of what to do on the same day. So, if something needs to be changed, or if I need to take more or less of the medications, then I can do that on the same day based on their advisement rather than wait a few days or sometimes even a week for results to come back.

The clinic that I am going to in Olathe is located in the doctor's building at Olathe Medical Center! Perfect location! I was worried I would have to go pretty far, but I didn't know there was a fertility clinic so close! Anyway, my first blood draw was Tuesday. After getting myself and the kids ready, I arrived there for my appointment. It is just a small office in the building, and there was a lady ahead of me, and a couple that was waiting in the seating area. I had brought snacks, drinks, and toys for the kids, and was anticipating that the blood draw would take all of 10 minutes! As I'm waiting to check in with the receptionist, there is a sign to the right of the desk that catches my eye. Second paragraph states that they have a strict "no children" policy. Then the sweating starts! Kicks in overtime actually! One of the side effects of the Lupron is excessive sweating! Umm, awesome! In my head, I'm thinking what the heck am I going to do? I can't leave them in the waiting room unattended, and no way are they going to let me take them with me while I get blood drawn. Maybe Troy is available, and I could run the kids to him, and come back and get drawn, and then go back and get the kids from his work. Finally, the lady in front of me is done, and so my turn. I walk up and give her an apologetic look and say: I'm sorry, I was not informed that you had a 'no children' policy and clearly I have my kids with me." Before I could tell her of what my plan was she says: "yeah, they are not allowed to be in here." Umm okay.

Look, I get it. I understand it can be hard for someone who is trying to conceive to see young children in that environment, and I also understand that children don't always do what you want them to do when you want them to do it, and this was one of those days for me, but she did not need to act like they were some kind of plague! So I said in the nicest voice I could find: "Okay, well, I can give my husband a call and see if he can either meet me or I can take the kids to him. He doesn't work very far away, and I could be back within 10 minutes." She says, okay to do that, and proceeds to give me some new patient paperwork to fill out, and then says:"You can go fill that out in the hall." If I could have slapped her I would have! Just in that moment.

I am still sweating, and maneuvering the stroller out of the doctor's office, and into the hall, and I call Troy. No answer. I text him and say that I have a little bit of a situation and need him to call me ASAP. He calls me back and I explain to him what the situation is, and he says that he will come meet me at the doctor's office and watch them while I get the blood drawn. Phew! In the meantime, I'm filling out the paperwork and trying to keep the kids quiet, and cleaning up some goldfish snacks that Kynlee insisted on throwing overboard! Troy texts to say that he has arrived, and I go and meet him, and head back up to finally get blood drawn! I wanted to say something to them, to express how irritated I was, but I kept quiet. I am going to have to work with these people for quite some time. I really don't want to start on the wrong end with them! So I bit my tongue, and let them prick me three times for them to get one vile of blood, and went on my way. Got the kids, hugged and kissed Troy, and off he went back to work!

I heard back from the clinic that day in Boston, and they said everything was looking good and to continue doing what I'm doing but to add a low dose aspirin and to decrease the Lupron to 10 units instead of 20. I started a different medicine that is just a small purple pill. I take one in the morning and one at night along with all of that. They said I would need to have another blood draw on Saturday (today), to check the levels again.

I called to make an appointment, and then the next day they called me to tell me that they had changed my appointment without checking with me first, and that was that. What. Ever. I went this morning and the clinic called me back this afternoon and said that the levels looked good again, and that I need to increase that little purple pill to two pills twice a day. Alrighty!

The only other symptom that I feel is pretty noticeable for me is irritability. I find myself with a little less patience for the kids and their shenanigans. I just feel like I have PMS. Not my favorite feeling but hey, could be worse!

So far, everything is still on track for the 22nd, to fly to Boston for the embryo transfer. I'm still very nervous but getting a little excited! My next blood draw is Wednesday! Fun fun!

Sarah

No comments:

Post a Comment